"The choir is another lifeline which feeds my body, souls and mind through connection of song and like minded people."
- Anna, Director of the African Choir of Norfolk
"Surrounded by women who understand and accept me"
- Rosy, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
"Feels like home"
- Rachel, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
- Clarice, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
"To express myself, my heritage, and my sisterhood"
- Nadia, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
- Vivi, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
"It showed me that there's always a place for me."
- Badriya, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
"You can spread your wings and be like a sun shine at the same time."
- Zahra, Member of the African Choir of Norfolk
The African Choir of Norfolk is an exciting signature project commissioned by the Autumn Festival of Norfolk (previously the Autumn Festival of Norfolk.) in Norwich, Norfolk. The Choir was founded with the purpose of bringing together a diverse group of individuals of African, Caribbean and Black British heritage to create a unique choir in Norfolk.
Since its establishment in 2019, and despite set backs due to Covid-19, the Choir has attracted a vibrant and exciting group of women and girls from across the different nations and diasporas of Africa. These include: Ivory Coast, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Eritrea, Ghana, Tanzania, the Caribbean as well as Black British descendants.
Our aim is to sing songs from all 54 nations of Africa by 2025. Through recording and performing, we aim to give our audiences a truly unique experience of the great continent through the power of song.